Tuesday, January 20, 2009

20/365: Hi. I'm Alycia and I'm an onychophagist .



According to Wikipedia: "Onychophagia or nail biting is a common oral compulsive habit in children and young adults, affecting around 30% of children between 7 to 10 years and 45% of teenagers. "

That's funny, because I haven't been a teenager for almost 8 years. How sad. For as long as I can remember, I've been a nail biter. I'd bite my nails to where they'd cause me tremendous amounts of pain. They'd look horrendous and I'd be embarrassed for anyone to even look at my hands. I've only had my nails long 3 times in my entire life. Once when I was around 13; that lasted a few months. I started back up because it was summer and i'd swim a lot so my nails would get soft and tear. So i would just have to bite off the tear to smooth it out which would lead to a full on chomp fest. The other time being after my wedding when I took my acrylic nails off and saw my real nails underneath I was inspired to stop for a year. This time it started back up because of stress from school and work. And now, my inspiration to stop being to avoid getting sick by putting my fingers in my mouth while working in the hospital touching sick sick SICK patients. Blech.

I know they still look short as hell to you, but to me this is a complete accomplishment I can hardly believe it. It's so hard for me to not cave in and bite that delicious white part clean off. I am so preoccupied with looking at my new nails and feeling them that it's an obsession. Maybe I should always keep gum around so I can chew on that instead of getting ideas to bite again. It's beyond habit, it's an addiction. I've relapsed in the past and I'm hoping this will be the end of it.

2 comments:

Pam said...

It's tough!! Congrats!

Wingnut said...

I've never bitten my nails, but I've always had awful looking weak nails. Almost two years ago I started getting acrylics and I am in love. I understand what you mean about constantly looking at your nails! I thought it would only last a few months but I still do it almost 2 years later! I'm guessing that acrylics aren't an option working in a hospital, but maybe a nice manicure to celebrate your success?